Owning a Lord & Burnham greenhouse is like owning a piece of US and Canadian history. Here's why
- Greenhouses became popular on the East Coast of the USA following the 1853 World's Fair in Bryant Park, New York, at which the star attraction was the New York Crystal Palace a giant greenhouse made out of iron and glass.
- Lord & Burnham was the leading designer and builder of greenhouses in the USA and Canada for more than 125 years (from 1856-1982).
- The company started out in Massachusetts in 1856 when the talented carpenter, Frederick Lord, founded his own company specializing in greenhouse building, known as Lord's Horticultural Manufacturing Co.
- Lord set up his business in Irvington, New York, along the Hudson River banks a site that later became the Lord & Burnham headquarters and main production facility, and remained in the same location for the next century and a quarter.
- The company name changed when Lord's son-in-law, William Addison Burnham, joined forces with Lord to form a partnership dedicated to building greenhouses across North America.
- In its hey-day, Lord & Burnham manufactured greenhouses in St Catharines, Canada, Des Moines, Iowa, as well as in the original facility in Irvington, New York.
- Lord & Burnham Greenhouses eventually became a division of the Burnham Corporation a manufacturer of industrial boilers and was ultimately closed down in 1982 in its 126th year of operation.
So if you are fortunate enough to have a Lord & Burnham greenhouse on your property, you own a historical possession that is well worth looking after.
Our experts at Glass Garden Builders have worked extensively with these beautiful old structures and can assist in all aspects of greenhouse restoration and renovation. We can even build new greenhouses that mimic all the grace and antique design features of the Lord & Burnham models but with modern heating and cooling technology that makes them super-efficient to run.
If you would like to find out more about our greenhouse restoration, renovation and construction services, please contact our friendly team at Glass Garden Builders by calling 603-903-3429 orcontact usvia this web site.